From: David Brownell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: linux-usb-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
CC: "Steve Calfee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: Question about OTG operations
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:42:35 -0800

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 11:03 pm, Steve Calfee wrote:

> Yes, it is a huge drawback to the spec. Being host does not say you provide > power, being "A" connector does. How do you communicate the fact that your > handheld can use and get power from a device if it is plugged in properly.

That one's easy:  there's now a "battery powered" device feature
(from wireless usb).  Use that ...

What's harder is the other way around:  "I have power to spare,
from the AC outlet."  Because the handheld gadget would likely
be the one to detect that case and suggest switching the cable.

Of course one could apply heuristics too.  Most printers have
AC power, so if your handheld hooks up to an OTG printer in host
role, and its battery is low enough, then suggest re-cabling.

OTG printer?  Presumably they exist by now ...

It is very hard to find OTG devices. They also don't seem to be advertised even if a device supports OTG. Google shows some lists, many cameras, a few printers. A camera/printer pair makes sense because both can be devices to some PC, but maybe you would like to print directly from a camera, so OTG could handle that.

Someone said that the Sony PSP (handheld game) was OTG, presumably mainly used to connect two PSPs for linked play.

>     Probably having
> both A and B connectors is a more sane and clear indication of power and
> connections.

I thought only hubs were allowed to do that, though...

Think of a Linux PC with a gadget card. it has both A and B connectors and does not violate the USB bus topology because they are really on two USB buses.

Increasingly many of the "SOC" chips now becoming available (such as the samsung s3c2410 ARM chip) have multiple device and host cores so being both a host and a device is quite possible. I have not seen one (yet) with a built in OTG phy, so you would have to use an external phy to do OTG. So as a system designer you could choose either or both of OTG or having both A and B connectors.

Regards, Steve