On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for hardware which supports USB gadget mode, preferably with
> high density (that is, it should be possible to add a dozen or so USB
> device endpoints to a standard PC, which are then attached to different
> hosts).  All I could find were evaluation boards (not a problem per se)
> with unclear capabilities.  Is there any readily available hardware
> which can be used to play with gadget mode?

Endpoints have nothing to do with connectors. Each device connector could be connected to a differnet host. Each USB device can have up to 32 endpoints (16 in and 16 out), but they all go through one USB bus and one host.

There's PLX Technology's NetChip 2280, which provides a USB device
interface and plugs into a regular PCI bus:

Linux has a driver for this board.  However the driver supports only one
board at a time; you can't plug multiple boards into your computer and
then attach it to multiple hosts.  (In theory this could be done, but it
would be a violation of the USB standard.  Also the Gadget API doesn't
allow it.)

Alan Stern

Hi Alan,

I think the confusion is endpoints vs connectors. There is nothing illegal about having multiple usb bus connections on one device. They could even be plugged into the same bus, but they would be enumerated seperately and given different USB addresses. I don't know why a PCI device could not have several cards in one PC. You may be right about the Gadget API.

Regards, Steve