On Wednesday 05 July 2006 7:16 am, Christopher Montgomery wrote:
> On 7/2/06, David Brownell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 July 2006 6:29 am, Christopher Montgomery wrote:
> >
> > > Disconnecting a hub/device causes two things to happen at the same time:
> > >
> > > 1) usb_disconnect is called on the root device.
> > > 2) each active transfer descriptor throws an interrupt/error each time
> > >    it comes up in the periodic schedule.
> >
> > Not "the same time" at all.  There can be big gaps between
>
> Yes, same time.  Because 1) and 2) are being interwoven and I have the
> logs to prove it.

Odd ... "interwoven" certainly allows gaps, and all of your
additional details agree completely with the facts as I had
pointed out.  In particular, that transfer errors will start
long before usbcore has any clue that the root cause is that
the device has been disconnected.  You need to be re-thinking
a bunch of things if you believe otherwise.

> > The usual way:  small reviewable patches, ideally each one addressing
> > one issue ... and against the current kernel (2.6.17-git right now).
> >[...]
> > Well, "large" patches tend not to get such vetting purely because they
> > are large.  Individual reviewable patches get such attention ... the
> > obvious fixes tend to go through first.
>
> I'll split it as much as I can (and I can somewhat). Unfortunately,
> the core change was 'the approach of the old scheduler was logically
> flawed and had to be replaced'.  There was no way to avoid the
> replacement layer being alot of code.

Even so, incremental patches are a requirement.  There are several
independent chunks of the scheduler ... in fact, several distinct
schedulers (for TT, QH, and ISO), and lots of non-scheduler code
that's just to maintain data structures.

>From what you've said so far, there is no evidence of anything
that's "logically flawed".  Such evidence can, in my experience,
be boiled down to a number of individual flaws ... and if it can't,
that's highly suggestive of the wrong problem being addressed.

- Dave