Suppose I have a usb-serial device managed, say, by the airprime
driver. When I connect it, it is attached to the /dev/ttyUSB0, then,
every disconnect/connect results in detaching from /dev/ttyUSB0 and
attaching back to /dev/ttyUSB0 *unless* there is an application that
keeps an opened fd got from open("/dev/ttyUSB0") while
disconnect/connect happens, in which case the device is attached to
/dev/ttyUSB1.

It's OK that the application keeping the fd open can do nothing sensible
with it after corresponding device has been disconnected (and connected
back), but can the /dev/ttyUSB0 itself be freed for allocation at
disconnect time? Is there something fundamental that prevents it or
makes it undesirable?

--
Sergei.