On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Mike Panetta wrote:

> I have written a patch based on the companion patch that will allow me
> to disable arbitrary ports on my EHCI root hubs for a product we are
> working on (The system has a very naughty built on compact flash card
> reader that cannot be disabled in bios) and I want to make sure this is
> the best way to do it.

This is very unclear.  Why do you want to disable the ports?  Why not
simply fail to enable them in the first place?

If you don't want to use the built-in CF card reader, why not unplug (or
cut!) the cable connecting it to the EHCI controller?

>  Also, it seems to have one simple issue.  If
> there is something plugged into the port, and I disable it,  khubd never
> seems to notice the event, so it will only see the port is disabled
> after I try to access the device.  Is there any way to fake a port
> disconnect event so that I can get it to rescan the ports?

Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose?  If you create a disconnect event
then khubd will rescan the port and enable it all over again.

Or put it another why: If you do want the port to be enabled so you can
access it, then why disable it in the first place?

>  The same
> applies to me re-enabling a port that already has something pluged into it.

(Redundant: It's impossible to enable a port that doesn't have something
plugged into it.)

Why do you want to re-enable a port that has something plugged into it?
Why hasn't the port been enabled all along?  Or if you disabled it for
some reason, why have you changed your mind?

> I guess basically this patch seems to work, except I need to figure out
> a way to fake port disconnect/connect events.  Is this possible?  The
> reason I would need this is all of our USB devices are pretty much
> hardwired and always exist, so there is only one plug event at boot time.

What are you really trying to accomplish?  What's the reason for going
through all this rigmarole?