Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Mike Panetta wrote:
>
> > I have written a patch based on the companion patch that will allow me
> > to disable arbitrary ports on my EHCI root hubs for a product we are
> > working on (The system has a very naughty built on compact flash card
> > reader that cannot be disabled in bios) and I want to make sure this is
> > the best way to do it.
>
> This is very unclear.  Why do you want to disable the ports?  Why not
> simply fail to enable them in the first place?
Mainly because I do not know how to do that?  Is there a way to tell the
EHCI driver to not enable certain root hub ports?

> If you don't want to use the built-in CF card reader, why not unplug (or
> cut!) the cable connecting it to the EHCI controller?

Because its hardwired on the circuit board.  I suppose we could reverse
engineer the motherboard (its a VIA mini itx board) to do this, but
doing it in software is a much preferred solution as we can RMA the
boards back to VIA if something goes wrong with them.

> >  Also, it seems to have one simple issue.  If
> > there is something plugged into the port, and I disable it,  khubd never
> > seems to notice the event, so it will only see the port is disabled
> > after I try to access the device.  Is there any way to fake a port
> > disconnect event so that I can get it to rescan the ports?
>
> Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose?  If you create a disconnect event
> then khubd will rescan the port and enable it all over again.
My patch makes the port connect events go unnoticed if the port is
'disabled'.

> Or put it another why: If you do want the port to be enabled so you can
> access it, then why disable it in the first place?
Because we are using 2 different motherboards and one does not have the
bad hardware issues.  We are trying to release a product and not have to
worry about there being 2 different kernel versions to support (one with
the ports enabled and one with the ports disabled in the driver).  If
there is another way to enable/disable ports in software that I do not
know about then that should work fine.

> >  The same
> > applies to me re-enabling a port that already has something pluged
> into it.
>
> (Redundant: It's impossible to enable a port that doesn't have something
> plugged into it.)
True.  That was a braino :P

> Why do you want to re-enable a port that has something plugged into it?
> Why hasn't the port been enabled all along?  Or if you disabled it for
> some reason, why have you changed your mind?

See above.

> > I guess basically this patch seems to work, except I need to figure out
> > a way to fake port disconnect/connect events.  Is this possible?  The
> > reason I would need this is all of our USB devices are pretty much
> > hardwired and always exist, so there is only one plug event at boot time.
>
> What are you really trying to accomplish?  What's the reason for going
> through all this rigmarole?

See above :)

> Alan Stern

Thanks,