Hi,

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:29:32PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > Any ideas?
>
> No doubt it's caused by the peculiar timing of events at startup.  Lots of
> things are happening all at once, and the computer can't keep up with
> everything.
>
> For instance, your log shows the Matrox HD was detected at timestamp 23.0
> roughly, but the usb-storage driver for it wasn't loaded until 30.97, by
> which time the HD had been autosuspended and the EHCI root hub along with
> it (at 25.2).
>
> Here's an experiment to try.  Boot without the Maxtrox HD, and after
> everything has settled down, plug it in.  Wait about 10 seconds for
> usb-storage to load and initialize.  Then do "rmmod usb-storage" and wait
> another 10 seconds; the HD and EHCI should autosuspend.  Perhaps at that
> point the "nobody cared" problem will occur again.

No, it doesn't -- the IRQ continues to work fine.

> Or perhaps not.  I can't think of any reason why the EHCI controller
> should have generated the unhandled IRQ, and it seems very suspicious that
> it occurred just as the cs port probing was going on.  So maybe
> yenta_socket is at fault, and the USB stuff just sets up the right
> timing conditions for the problem to show up.

Unfortunately, that's not the case; USB isn't that soon off the hook: if no
USB device is connected, no interrupt is received on that line at all; and
even if I block yenta_socket from being loaded on startup, the problem
persists. So it's not PCMCIA.

Oh, and it doesn't seem to be usb-storage-specific. Accidentally, I had my
usb-audio device connected to the other ehci port (usb4-2) once, and the
same message appeared. With 20000 interrupts instead of 10000, though, but
anyways...

        Dominik