On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 10:28 +0100, Giuliano Cioffi wrote:
>   I'm trying  to use an USB  ethernet adapter (ASIX AX8817x  based) on
> Mac  Mini PPC  machine. In  order to  make it  work, I  applied the
> two
> attached  patches on  the  2.6.19-gentoo-r2 kernel.  They are
> extracted
> respectively from patch-2.6.20-rc3 and patch-2.6.20-rc3-git8 and
> applied
> cleanly.
>
>   Everything is  fine until  I change  the MAC  address of  the
> adapter.
> ifconfig  indeed shows  the new  one, but  I'm unable  to ping  the
> host
> unless the interface is in promiscuous mode (ifconfig eth1 promisc).

The ASIX driver doesn't currently implement the set_mac_address() call
which is what would take the supplied MAC from user-space and would
configure the device appropriately.  Are you sure that when you set the
new MAC that you didn't get an error code?  I can add MAC changing
functionality, I just haven't ever had the need, and it hasn't been
requested until now.

--
David Hollis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>