On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> | As near as I can tell, this shows that the kernel behaves the same way
> | regardless of CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND, and all the problems seem to be caused
> | either by the Treo itself or by the pilot-xfer program.
> |
> | Do you agree?  While there may indeed be issues remaining to be fixed,
> | none of them are directly connected with the kernel.
>
> I honestly do not know. I use two main 'client' programs -- jpilot and
> pilot-xfer -- and neither communicates 'well' (in the sense of how being
> equivalent to my old Handspring Visor and my Palm Tungsten C, or my wife's
> Treo 300) with the Palm 700p.  I do not know the kernel usb stack well enough
> to assess who's fault this is -- the usb controller, the visor driver, the
> kernel ... .  I just know that my user experience is not anywhere near where
> I'd like.

Understandable.  However at the start of this thread it was claimed that
turning CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND off made the device work better, and now it
seems that this isn't really true.  So we may have been looking in the
wrong direction.

> It seems to me that the Palm 700p uses a variant of the communications
> protocol.  E.g. one of our older Linux workstations doesn't even recognise
> it, yet has worked flawlessly for years with the 700p.
>
> What's your take?

You're probably right.  My suggestion is to get in touch with the people
who maintain the jpilot and pilot-xfer programs.  They may be able to
offer more help than I can.