I forgot to ask an additional question:

Is it sensible to have multiple outstanding read URBs, in the way that
there are multiple outstanding write URBs?

On my embedded platform, it is fairly expensive to do write-merging in
order to send maximum length packets. (In other words, on my device, my
"write" syscalls have a 1:1 correspondence with USB packets; when these
packets are less than 64 bytes, I only get one packet per 1ms USB frame.)

If the host had multiple read URBs pending, would it continue to send IN
tokens after it had already received a short packet in that frame? Could
I be safely assured that the bulk_read callbacks would occur in the
order already read, or would the driver need to do some explicit
fragment reassembly? (Could read callbacks be called out of order or
concurrently on an SMP machine?)

(If this ends up being too messy, I suppose I'll just do the write
merging on the device!)

-Ed