On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Raphael Assenat wrote:

> > Is that true even if there was also a device attached at boot time, or
> > does it happen only when you connect a new device and all the ports are
> > unoccupied?
> I had not thought of trying that... I did some tests and found that
> if a device was present at boot time, new devices _are_ detected
> correctly. And as long as the number of connected devices does not
> fall down to 0, all ports work normally.

Okay.  This says that RHSC works correctly while the controller is
running, but it doesn't work when the controller is suspended.

> Well it seems that no interrupts are generated when I
> connect/disconnect a new device... The counter in /proc/interrupt
> stays the same.
> before connecting a device:
> 167:        216      it8152  ohci_hcd:usb2
> after connection a device:
> 167:        216      it8152  ohci_hcd:usb2

Post a copy of the contents of /sys/class/usb_host/usb_host2/registers
while no devices are plugged in, and then again after you plug in a device
and nothing happens.

> > If you want to get useful information from the system log, you have to
> > turn on CONFIG_USB_DEBUG.
> >
> Ok, below you'll find some of the output I got when booting with a
> device connected and when connecting/disconnecting devices. In case
> you wonder, usb1 is the pxa270's ohci controller.
>
> I was wondering, can this be a problem?
> hub 2-0:1.0: trying to enable port power on non-switchable hub

No, that is normal.

> And apparently, once I get this message, the ports stop working.
> ohci_hcd 0000:00:01.4: auto-stop root hub

That gets printed when the controller is suspended.

Here's something else you can try.  Turn on CONFIG_PM_SYSFS_DEPRECATED and
keep your "any_connected" change.  Then do

        echo -n 2 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2/power/state

and see what happens when you plug in or remove a device.