On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> > I noticed that the message occurs if the device is active BEFORE
> > uhci-hcd gets loaded.
> > e.g.
> >
> > boot with bluetooth on: debounce failed
> > switch off/on bluetooth: device recognized and working
> > rmmod uhci-hcd then modprobe uhci-hcd: debounce failed again
> >
> > and of course
> > boot with bt off then switching on: device recognized and working
> > rmmod uhci-hcd then modprobe uhci-hcd: debounce failed
>
> This makes it likely that some device initialisation code is not severe
> enough. It is important to find out why one kernel works and the other
> does not.

On the contrary, this indicates the problem has nothing to do with the
kernel version at all.  Probably it's just an accident of timing that one
system ends up loading uhci-hcd before the device is active and other
systems don't.

There was a very similar report recently involving ohci-hcd.  Evidently
some EHCI controllers won't perform a handoff if the companion controller
isn't initialized.