On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Have a delay attribute per interface and give each device an attribute
> "SuspensionState" with the permissible values "on", "auto" & "suspend"
> Handle RemoteWakeup as an orthogonal issue.

After some more thinking...

As you say, remote wakeup is an orthogonal issue.  So if remote wakeup is
enabled when the user writes "suspend" to the attribute, the device will
wakeup when an external event occurs.  If not, it won't.

This makes me doubt that we should prevent the device from waking up when
an internal I/O request occurs.  If the user really wants to prevent the
device from waking up, then he should prevent I/O requests.  The means for
doing this will depend on the individual device.

For example, consider a USB flash card reader.  HAL normally probes these
devices 4 times/second, checking to see whether a card has been inserted.
This activity would prevent the device from staying suspended very long.
However, if the user would suspend the underlying sd device then the
requests from HAL would be stopped at the source.

As another example, consider a USB network interface.  Doing "ifconfig
down" would prevent new requests from arriving.