On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 05 March 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Repost, slight edit.
> No one has any comments on this lack of usb connectivity?
>
> I have a new F6C1500 Belkin UPS, which when I plug in a pl2303
> cable, becomes /dev/ttyUSB0 and Belkins own monitor soft works about
> 99%.
>
> Its found by the kernel and an lsusb if I plug a usb cable in
> directly, but no device is made by udev when I do.  dmesg sees this:
>
> Mar  5 20:07:59 coyote kernel: usb 3-3.4.4: new low speed USB device
> using ehci_hcd and address 9
> Mar  5 20:07:59 coyote kernel: usb 3-3.4.4: configuration #1 chosen
> from 1 choice
> Mar  5 20:08:00 coyote kernel: hiddev96: USB HID v1.11 Device [Belkin
> Belkin UPS] on usb-0000:00:02.2-3.4.4
>
> And two new devices /dev/usbdev-hub.address_ep00 and _ep80 are
> created but cat can't find them to test if any data is coming out.
>
> Greg K-H:You can't cat those files, that doesn't do anything.

True.  Those files are mainly placeholders, waiting for usbfs2 to be
developed.

> Shouldn't I see a /dev/ttyUSB2 created since there are already 2
> pl2303 cable's there now?  FC6, uptodate, homebrewed kernel so I
> could be missing a module.

Why do you think there should be a new terminal device?  When you plug in
a mouse or a keyboard, you don't get /dev/ttyUSBn.  It's the same
situation here -- the UPS registers itself as an HID device, not as a
serial device.

> Greg K-H:Can you provide the output of /proc/bus/usb/devices?  And this
> should be on the linux-usb-devel list, not linux-hotplug-devel, as it
> doesn't have anything to do with udev.
>
> Gene:Thank you, Greg.
>
> I've unplugged the pl2303 and plugged a usb cable in direct, here is the
> cat of /proc/bus/usb/devices:

> T:  Bus=03 Lev=03 Prnt=05 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  9 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=050d ProdID=0751 Rev= 0.01
> S:  Manufacturer=Belkin
> S:  Product=Belkin UPS
> C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr= 20mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid
> E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=248ms

As you can see, the UPS binds to the usbhid driver.  Not a serial driver.

> I obviously have too many hubs...
>
> Is there no chance of making a direct usb connection work to this device?

Isn't it working now?