On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Montag, 19. März 2007 19:38 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > Judging from the bug report, it sounds like a problem with the userspace
> > tools -- apparently either scanimage or sane exits before the scanner is
> > ready.  Or maybe the problem lies in the scanner itself; it can't finish
> > its reset procedure after scanning if the USB interface is suspended.
>
> Ideally user space would not notice autosuspend.

I gather that in this case user space doesn't notice it -- the scanner
does (and stops working).  If the scanner was able to suspend properly,
user space wouldn't notice a thing.

The fact remains, USB devices are supposed to handle being suspended.  If
some of them can't, like this scanner, then that's a good reason for
creating a quirks entry or a hotplug script for them.

Whenever a new capability is added to the kernel, one runs across devices
which ought to support it but do not.  One doesn't want to penalize the
vast majority of devices that have no problem for the sake of a few.  We
have blacklists and configurable parameters precisely in order to deal
with this sort of thing.