On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Christopher Friedt wrote:

> Totally unpredictably, today I managed to bring up my hdd in the
> external enclosure, but there is a trick -
>
> I needed to reboot the computer && cycle the power on the enclosure
> before the bios came up. Then linux registered the device as one would
> normall expect under /dev/sdb. It has never worked when I power the
> device on when linux is running, which I find very odd.
>
> Perhaps the error is somehow because of HAL ? It's really hard for me to
> determine what to make of this, but it works as long as the device was
> powered on and before the computer was.
>
> I think it was picked up with the help of the BIOS.
>
> Am I talking smack, or could this be a decent explaination?

Goodness knows.  I have a USB-IDE enclosure that works okay when you turn
on power to the drive before plugging in the USB cable but not vice versa.
(Or maybe it's the other way around; I can never remember.)

There's plenty of bad hardware out there, and not too much we can do about
a lot of it.

If you're really curious and want to get more information, you can turn
on CONFIG_USB_DEBUG and CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG.  Then see what shows up
in the dmesg log when you plug in the drive.