On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, John Wojnaroski wrote:

> I've READ the specs, examined countless examples, browsed innumerable
> websites.  This is a silly, simple little keyboard device customized to
> handle static switches.  It has one endpoint and takes a three byte
> command and sends a three byte packet that reports an event in the
> switch matrix.  that is all it does, that is ALL it will ever do.
>
> It works under MS windows.  A copy of a SnoopyPro log has been sent
> along. Replicate the log under Linux and the device should work.
> Right?  Now perhaps the log is missing some data, but that can be
> provided, descriptors, endpoint class, etc.  It appears to use the
> Cypress Semiconductor series of USB hardware.  And I'm clearly doing
> something wrong or mis-interpreting what is required to communicate with
> the device.

As you said, duplicate the log under Linux and the device will work.  The
problem is that you're not duplicating the log.  The SnoopyPro log shows
that Windows always has two Bulk or Interrupt URBs pending, but your
program doesn't use any.

> I don't want to become an expert on writing USB drivers, at least not at
> this time.  Just a simple request as to how to make the device work
> under linux.  If the forum can't handle that request, then IMHO it is
> the wrong place.

It's not a question of Linux vs. Windows, it's a question of making your
driver do what it's supposed to do.

As for not wanting to become an expert...  That's understandable, but you
_do_ have to become something of an expert on writing drivers for the type
of device you're interested in.  Otherwise you'll never be able to make it
work.