Am Sonntag, 13. Mai 2007 17:15 schrieb Alan Stern:
> On Sun, 13 May 2007, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>
> > Am Samstag, 12. Mai 2007 21:26 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > > It could be controlled by both a Kconfig option and a writable module
> > > parameter.  I'm not sure that would satisfy everybody.  But maybe there
> > > _is_ no way to satisfy everyone...
> >
> > I agree. Hibernation with a mounted fs on usb sucks, no matter what
> > you do.
>
> Don't forget that "persistence" applies to network interfaces just as much
> as to block devices.

Yes, but it is not problematic, as you run no additional risk. The worst
thing that could happen is that you assign an IP to the wrong interface.
But if the driver can't tell apart devices, neither can udev.
So you've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

> > I suggest a setting per interface in sysfs.
>
> That approach isn't feasible.  For one thing, "persistence" applies to
> entire devices, not to interfaces.  For another, we can't make a device
> persistent unless we also make all its ancestor hubs persistent.  (If a
> hub disappears during resume then its children are destroyed too.)

Well, we have again a distinction between device and interface
persistance. Some drivers and therefore interfaces will be unable
to support persistance. It must be possible to resurrect only some
interfaces of a device.

On the core side persistance is asked for if a devices's interface or
a device lower in the tree want persistance.

> While a per-device flag might be workable, I think the most
> straightforward approach is a single system-wide On/Off setting.

Why? Treating a hard drive differently than a floppy seems very
reasonable to me.

        Regards
                Oliver