On Thu, 17 May 2007, Jayaprakash Shanmugam wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
>   I have two devices connected to a host. I periodically read bulk
> data from first device and pass it on to the second device via EP-2.
> Apart from this periodic data, the host sends some vendor commands
> through EP-0 of first device.  Though these vendor commands are
> received successfully by the device, usb_control_msg() returns
> -ETIMEDOUT error sometimes. If I stop sending the periodic bulk data,
> no -ETIMEDOUT is seen for the usb_control_msg().

Are you sure about that?  If you stop sending the bulk data to the
second device, then the control messages to the first device start
working?  Even though you continue to read the bulk data periodically
from the first device?

>  I traced out the
> message.c file and it looks like the URB times out to call the
> timeout_kill() function.  I even tried with a higher timeout, but no
> improvement is seen.  Any pointers on what could have gone wrong ?
>
> I observed the same with both EHCI and OHCI drivers.  The device is
> Cypress based, capable of USB2.0.  The host runs  2.6.11 on MPC8270
> with PCI-USB ISP1561.

What happens with a different host?  What happens with a later version
of the kernel on the host?  2.6.11 is quite old...