On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Greg KH wrote:

> I _really_ think we need to just get rid of that field and pass the
> status in the urb callback.  That would fix this problem once and for
> all.
>
> But, from what I remember, the uhci host controller didn't make it easy
> for me to acomplish this.  Or it might have been another host
> controller, can't remember anymore...
>
> So, anyone looking to make up some patches that touch every USB driver
> in the tree?  I'd be glad to take them :)

Tell you what -- I'll update the host controller drivers to remove
them as an obstacle.  However I don't currently feel up to modifying
the signatures for all the USB completion routines in the kernel;
someone else will have to do that.

As a consolation prize, problems from abusing urb->status will decrease
because the value won't change from -EINPROGRESS until immediately
before the URB is passed to the completion handler.  Of course this
won't solve all the races, but it might help reduce the bug reports...