On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Rajesh Srinivasan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am in teh process of developing a gadget driver for our peripheral
> hardware. I have completed the non-gadget version (custom driver) for our
> peripheral controller, and am about to start with the Gadget driver. Do we
> have any guide as to the steps for creating a new udc driver?. I have a
> torrent of small noobie questions like this..
> Once i insmod (or modprobe) my udc driver, the kernel never calls the
> probe() function. (Whereas for the dummy-hcd, probe() is called as soon as
> insmoded). As my structure and hardware initializations are done in the
> probe().. When i do an insmod of teh file_storage, it straightaway calls
> the usb_gadget_register_driver(), and as the software is not  initialized
> yet, it crashes. What is the exact order / time when the probe is called
> by the kernel? Any bits of info or tips will be quite helpful.

You have to register the controller as a platform device and the
controller driver as a platform driver.  There was an email thread
about this within the past week on the usb-storage mailing list:

https://lists.one-eyed-alien.net/pipermail/usb-storage/2007-July/date.html

Read the messages with "g_file_storage" in the subject line.