Hi,

On 8/7/07, David Brownell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Is there a way of reseting USB HCD from userspace without removing the
> > kernel module?
>
> No.  That would reset the entire bus ... which "should" only be done
> after cleanly disconnecting all devices on that bus.
>

> > I can see there's a method for reseting the controller (ehci_reset in
> > my case) but it's called only when the device is first probed or as an
> > error recovery method, am I right?
>
> Right.
>

> > David, I saw you're the one who implemented ehci controller support on
> > linux, so do you remember coding such support? A way to reset the
> > controller from userspace? Some ioctl? some sysfs interface? Is there
> > any plans for that?
>
> No past, current, or uture plans.  Why would you want such a thing?

I'm reading (and implementing) the "USB Command Verifier Compliance
Test Specification", on page 19 it gives me 3 starting states which
I'll be using to issue the tests, those are "Default State", "Address
State" and "Configured State", in order to achieve the Configured
State I'd follow these steps:

Configured State: The device is enumerated using the following procedure.
1. Reset the USB host controller.
2. For each port on the USB host controller turn on port power.
3. Sleep for 1 Second.
4. Drive port reset on each host port. Sleep for 50 milliseconds.
Clear port reset.
5. Check host port enable.
6. If host port is enabled enumerate the device on the port.
7. Issue a valid set configuration command for the configuration to be tested.
8. Issue a valid get configuration command and verify that the correct
configuration is returned.

I can issue every single step here but the 1st one. But if the only
way to do it is removing the module and modprobe'ing it again, I can
live with that. A way to do it through sysfs or ioctl() would be nice
though...

--
Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi