On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Gabriel Maganis wrote:

> Correct. I was hoping disabling preemption can keep those things
> somewhat constant but looking at the list you gave, it seems the time
> to travel over the cable is negligible. I am trying to see if a USB
> extension cable can increase the time from my computer to the device.
> Is that unlikely to be visible from a kernel module even if I use the
> TSC?

No, it's not going to be visible at all.  You might be able to see it
with an oscilloscope or bus analyzer.  IIRC the propagation speed of
these signals is about 1/3 the speed of light, or roughly 10 ns per
meter.

In theory this is within the resolution of the TSC, but with all the
other confounding factors you'd never be able to dig it out.