On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Folkert van Heusden wrote:

> > HIDIOCGSTRING - struct hiddev_string_descriptor (read/write) Gets a
> > string descriptor from the device. The caller must fill in the "index"
> > field to indicate which descriptor should be returned.
> Can you please tell me in what range this index is?

Please refer to USB specification.

The string descriptor indexes are fully optional and are referenced by the
other descriptors (device descriptors, configuration descriptors, etc). So
the valid range differs from device to device and depends of how much of
the descriptor information has available the corresponding string (human
readable) representation.

--
Jiri Kosina