On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Eero Volotinen wrote:

> Disk works fine with mandrake 10 official kernel and with windows xp
> professional. I think there is something really _broken_ with newer kernels.
>
> or hardware is really buggy. Looks like other people have problems with
> this piece of hardware got that information using google.
>
> Anyway, I really need to get that hardware to working, my laptop is
> running out of hdd space. Yes, it was cheap, about 80euros in local
> cheapstore 'gigantti'.
>
> Just compiling latest mm kernel. Well. It works better with it, but
> when i try to fdisk the disk I got kernel_panic ..
>
> There is debug_output:

I think I see what the problem is...

> SCSI device sda: 160836481 512-byte hdwr sectors (82348 MB)

That's a rather suspicious-looking number -- disks almost never have an
odd number of sectors.  Probably the drive is reporting that it has one
more sector than it really does.

> SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x70000
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 160836480
> Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 160836480

And sure enough, an error crops up when trying to read what should be the
last sector.  In itself the error would be harmless, but the drive fails
to respond properly when the system tries to recover from the error, which
makes things even worse.

I can prepare a patch to fix this, but I'll need the information in your
/proc/bus/usb/devices file (with the drive plugged in).

Alan Stern