On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, C. Hurschler wrote:

> sorry to take so long....
>
> I removed everything that was obviously using usbcore but still get:
>
> athlon:/home/stoffel# lsmod |grep usb
> usbcore               118564  1
> athlon:/home/stoffel# rmmod usbcore
> ERROR: Module usbcore is in use
> athlon:/home/stoffel#

There's not much point in trying the rmmod command if lsmod shows the
module is in use.  You _know_ that it's going to fail...

> So I don't know what is preventing me from removing usbcore.
> I do have the bluetooth module running, which uses a USB device, but I can't
> get that unloaded either:
>
> athlon:/home/stoffel# lsmod |grep l2cap
> l2cap                  25668  2
> bluetooth              49156  3 l2cap
> athlon:/home/stoffel# rmmod l2cap
> ERROR: Module l2cap is in use
> athlon:/home/stoffel# rmmod bluetooth
> ERROR: Module bluetooth is in use by l2cap
>
> here is the complete lsmod listing:

<too long to read>

If you're still having problems, try going to single-user mode, turn off
all your network interfaces, unmount all drives other than the root
filesystem, and unplug all your USB devices.  Then remove all the modules
you can.

Better yet, boot with the kernel parameter init=/bin/bash and install
usbcore the way you want, then exec /sbin/init to continue the regular
boot-up procedure.

Alan Stern