Javier-Elias Vasquez-Vivas wrote:
I think my problem is with udev.  In my case originally hp-8200 is
recognized but assigned by udev to /dev/sda, but I can't even mount it
for reading cd's:

This doesn't sound like a udev problem.

So I tried with udev rules...  1st one:

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{product}=="HP USB CD-Writer Plus", NAME="sr0",
SYMLINK="scd0", GROUP="disk"

With this rule I get /dev/sr0 and /dev/scd0.  However it doesn't work either:

This rule wouldn't have made sr0 available if it wasn't already.

In any case I get with dmesg:

attempt to access beyond end of device
sda: rw=0, want=66, limit=1
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=sda, iso_blknum=16, block=32

If you get a sda device from your cdrom then you are either getting confused with other hardware or there is a bug in the driver.

If I were you I would do all testing on 2.6.15-rc2 with USB storage debug
enabled.

Thanks,
Daniel