Alan Stern wrote:

>Wow!  That's a pretty impressive error.  I don't recall ever seeing
>anything like it.  It affected both the high-speed EHCI controller and its
>full-speed companion UHCI controller.

I was hoping for something simple ;-(

>This isn't just a protocol problem; it's a fault at the hardware level.
>At a guess, one of the USB controllers on your motherboard has an
>intermittent short circuit.  Or maybe it's in the cable or the GL811E
>controller.
>
>Of course, that doesn't explain why everything works okay on the old 2.4
>kernel.
>
>Have you tried switch cables or using a different computer?

I just tried another cable, but that didn't work any better.

It works OK on my wifes laptop running Windows, but Knoppix with the 2.6
kernel fails on her computer as well. And it only has USB 1.1 ports.

Eventually I was hoping to use the box on a Linksys NSLUG2, but when I
plugged it in I heard the same clicking sound.  (The NSLUG2 is running
OpenSLUG, kernel 2.6.12.2)

When plugged into an ASUS WL-500G Deluxe (Linux kernel 2.4) it works.
Maybe this is where it will be connected in the end.

It seems 2.6 is somehow pushing the GL811E controller past it's limit.

Søren Ræbild