On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Eric Sprigg wrote:

> I have recently installed SUSE Linux 10.1 on my PC. At first I had no
> trouble with USB and could access my Sony memory stick without any
> problems. However, a few days ago disaster struck. Suddenly the memory
> stick was no longer recognised and along with it other USB accessories,
> e.g. a memory card reader. Strangely, a NEC diskette drive attached via
> the rear USB sockets is still working fine.
>
> Now, I can't blame Linux for this problem, for the USB peripherals are
> no longer visible in Windows either. Indeed, I have had similar trouble
> in the past, when the USB ports have mysteriously disappeared (and I was
> only using Windows). Even more mysteriously, they have then after weeks
> or months suddenly come back, without my having done anything!
>
> With Linux I had hoped that I might get more insight into what is going
> on, however I cannot say that I am much the wiser. All I can report is:
>
> 1) /proc/bus/usb/devices is not defined.

Because SuSE doesn't mount /proc/bus/usb.  You have to mount it by hand:

        mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb

> 2) lsusb reports
>     Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0409:0040 NEC Corp. USB UF000x
>     Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000           OHCI Host Controller
>     Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000           EHCI Host Controller
>     Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000           OHCI Host Controller
>     Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000           OHCI Host Controller
>
> 3) At startup there are messages like:
>     usb usb4: new device found, idVendor=0000, idProduct=0000
>     usb usb4: new device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
>     usb usb4: Product: EHCI Host Controller
>     usb usb4: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.16.13-4-default ehci_hcd
>     usb usb4: SerialNumber: 0000:00:03.3
>     usb usb4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>     hub 4-0:1.0: USB hub found
>     usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
>     usb 4-3: device descriptor read/64, error -32
>     usb 4-3: device descriptor read/64, error -32
>     usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
>     usb 4-3: device descriptor read/64, error -32
>     usb 4-3: device descriptor read/64, error -32
>     usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
>     usb 4-3: device not accepting address 4, error -32
>     usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
>     usb 4-3: device not accepting address 5, error -32
>
> Googling for help, I see that many other people have had similar
> messages (and even the phenomenon of USB ports disappearing). But I
> haven't found any suggestions for a solution.
>
> My own suspicion, because of the sporadic nature of the trouble, is that
> it is a hardware problem. But maybe someone here has a better idea. Does
> anybody know what the error messages mean? If there are no solutions, I
> suppose I'll just have to wait and hope that USB decides to come back
> again some day, as it has in the past.

If the EHCI controller isn't working, then almost anything could occur.
The debugging messages themselves would be suspect.  That's certainly a
possibility.

However if we take the messages at face value, then the -32 errors
indicate a problem with the device plugged in to the controller.  They
mean that the device is refusing to send its device descriptor to the
computer (or to acknowledge a Set Address request); it's sending a STALL
instead.  If you get the same debugging error messages for every device,
you'd be justified in thinking it's not the devices' fault.

Just to see what happens, you could try doing "rmmod ehci-hcd".  That
would leave only the OHCI controllers running, but perhaps they will at
least work.

Alan Stern