On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 03:56:19PM -0700, Leonid wrote:
> However mount fails (stick has VFAT filesystem on it):
>
> ~ # mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/
> FAT: invalid media value (0x00)
> VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
> mount: Mounting /dev/sda on /mnt failed: Invalid argument
> ~ # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/ Unable to load NLS charset cp437
> FAT: codepage cp437 not found
> mount: Mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt failed: Invalid argument

You need both the proper codepage and to use /dev/sda1

> Note that codeset 437 is specified in kernel configuration as default. When I
> replaced it by "ascii" (same as on my Linux desktop where the same flash
> works) it fails anyway:
>
> ~ # mount /dev/sda /mnt/

Now you've failed to specify /dev/sda1, and failed to specify vfat.

> ~ # mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/

Now you've failed to specify /dev/sda1 again.

Try:
  mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/

With your default codepage set to ascii.  Or, just make sure that whatever
codepage you have selected as your default is either loaded as a module or
compiled-in to your kernel.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It was a new hope.
                                        -- Dust Puppy
User Friendly, 12/25/1998