On 10/6/07, Jonas Nicolaisen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So it looks like the mouse is working (it also works on another Linux
> machine I tested it on, kernel 2.6.16 and an UHCI hub there.)
>
> It's not the cable. And apparently it's not the USB hub either, since
> the Knoppix live system can cope with this mouse/hub combo just fine.
>
> Going back to Gentoo with kernel 2.6.22.9, same status -84 messages in
> syslog again.
>
> Should I try something like kernel 2.6.7?

Just wondering if you have the usb suspend enabled? I have problem
with the PICDEM FS USB bootloader under Ubuntu 7.04 stock
kernel and later I built 2.6.22.7 vanilla kernel. With the suspend
enabled, it did not work. When usb auto-suspend is disabled,
it will work. It is  a firmware problem. It is working fine under
Ubuntu 6.06 (kernel 2.6.15).

If the firmware is based on V1 of Microchip USB firmware
framework, there are quite some silicon bugs and firmware bugs.

I've collected some of the bugs here. V1.2 is just out but does not solve
all the problems.
http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=275422

One problem with the HID firmware is not handling clear feature
request properly but I think this may not be related to your issue.

Sorry this does not really help you but might give you some hints
that the firmware is at fault.

Xiaofan
http://mcuee.blogspot.com