On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 03:20:26PM +0100, Sergio Callegari wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 03:54:38PM +0000, Sergio Callegari wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have an ONDA N501HS (namely a rebranded ZTE MF330) UMTS pc card.
>>>
>>> I am currently using this card with the sierra driver (as in current
>>> kernels).
>>>

>> Which kernel version specifically?
>>
> Ubuntu's 32bit i386 2.6.22

Please try .24 if at all possible.

Ubuntu is also known for patching their kernel to the mountains and
back, so you will really only be able to get kernel help from them, as
we have no idea what they have added to their tree.

If you want to use a kernel.org kernel, we will be glad to help you out.

>>> However I am noticing the following problem:
>>>
>>> - when I use the card for downloading from the internet, everything is
>>> fine;
>>> - when I use the card for uploading to the internet, after a few tens kB,
>>> the
>>> card freezes.
>>>
>>> Freezing goes as follows:
>>>
>>> the card provides 3 ports: ttyUSB0 to ttyUSB2. The port ttyUSB0 that is
>>> used for
>>> data stops working completely. It becomes impossible to talk to it, until
>>> the
>>> pc-card is extracted and put again in the pcmcia slot.  The other ports
>>> keep
>>> working.
>>>
>>> I wonder if this might have something to do with flow control (or lack
>>> thereof)
>>> that causes the card to be flooded with data from the computer until it
>>> locks.
>>>

>> Probably.
>>

>>> I believe that flow control might be the issue, since if I use upload
>>> programs
>>> that let me decide the data rate and I pick a low enough rate everything
>>> goes
>>> just fine.
>>>
>>> I have also seen that the ZTE MF330 has just been moved from the sierra
>>> driver
>>> to the option driver.
>>> Is there any chance that this might fix my problem?
>>>

>> Well, it might, as it turns out that this really is not a sierra
>> wireless based device, it's something else.
>>
>> So try changing drivers and see if that gets better.
>>
> Ok. Il'll give the option driver a try and provide some feedback.
> The option driver has the words
>
> This driver exists because the "normal" serial driver doesn't work too well
>  with GSM modems. Issues:
>  - data loss -- one single Receive URB is not nearly enough
>  - nonstandard flow (Option devices) control
>  - controlling the baud rate doesn't make sense
>
> at the beginning... I hope that the thing about flow control applies and is
> not an "Option" specific thing.
>
> In any case, I know that ZTE MF330 is not a sierra, but if I am not wrong
> it should have the same qualcomm chipset as sierra devices, with different
> firmware.

Firmware makes all the difference in the world for these kinds of things :)

thanks,

greg k-h
-