On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 08:30:06AM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 08:47:12PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 09:05:29PM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > > What's the right place to add USB IDs to a MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE() to
> > > autload usbserial for CDMA and GSM modems that appear on the USB bus,
> > > and that work with
> > >
> > >   modprobe usbserial vendor=0x.... device=0x....
> >
> > ARGH!!!
> >
> > No, please do not use those modems with the usb-serial driver, use the
> > specific driver for these chips.  So far, almost all of the Dell devices
> > are controlled by the option driver.  If you could verify the company
> > that makes the chipset for these devices, that would make it easier to
> > place them in the correct driver (option vs. sierra.)
> >
> > > I'd like to add at least (snagged from hal-info)
> > >
> > > 413c:8114 Dell 5700 Mobile Broadband CDMA/EVDO Mini-Card == Novatel
> > > Expedite EV620 CDMA/EV-DO,
> > > 413c:8117 Dell 5700 Mobile Broadband CDMA/EVDO ExpressCard == Novatel
> > > Merlin XV620 CDMA/EV-DO,
> > > 413c:8128 Dell 5700 Mobile Broadband CDMA/EVDO Mini-Card == Novatel
> > > Expedite E720 CDMA/EV-DO,
> > > 413c:8133 Dell 5720 Mobile Broadband CDMA/EVDO Mini-Card == Novatel
> > > Expedite E725 CDMA/EV-DO
>
> 8133, which is the card I have, hit mainline between -rc2-git5 and
> -rc2-git7.  The Fedora rawhide kernel I had was 2 days old, so didn't
> have this ID. Today's does, and works fine, as you would expect.

Ah, good :)

If you think it's worth it, I'll backport those ids to the .24-stable
driver, but I don't know of any distros based on 2.6.24 right now, do
you?

> > These are all already supported by the option driver today.
> >
> > > and several GSM cards:
> > > 413c:8115
> > > 413c:8116
> > > 413c:8118
> > > 413c:8137
> >
> > So are these.  Why is this not working for you already?
> >
> > There are also some other Dell-offered devices supported by this driver
> > that you didn't list :)
>
> OK, I'll have to sync your list into hal-info then.

What does hal-info have to do with these kinds of things?  Can't it pull
it directly from the kernel module information?  Otherwise we get into
the cycle of always being out of date.

thanks,

greg k-h
-