On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:33:27 +0200, Bjørn Mork <bj...@mork.no> wrote:
Lan Tianyu <tianyu....@intel.com> writes:
Not directly related to this patch, but a question I started wondering
about recently:  Is there some generic guideline wrt parsing boolean
flags in sysfs?  If not, shouldn't there be?

I see a lot of different approaches implementing this basic function.
Personally I would prefer if they all did something like the
set_usb2_hardware_lpm in drivers/usb/core/sysfs.c:

[...]
        ret = strtobool(buf, &value);
[...]

Using strtobool() to allow "Y", "yes", "1" etc makes a nice user
interface IMHO.  Unless of course the variable is a true integer which
only happens to currently allow 0 and 1, but may be extended with more
values later.

I'd say that if someone is handling sysfs directly, he has burn in his brain
that 0 is false and 1 is true. ;)  (Shell complicates things a little, but
still I feel that for sysfs users the connection is obvious.)  Because of that,
I stick to kstrtouint().

Also, I don't like how strtobool() treats "01" as a false value.

--
Best regards,                                         _     _
.o. | Liege of Serenely Enlightened Majesty of      o' \,=./ `o