On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Wesley W. Terpstra <w.terps...@gsi.de> wrote:
> In case anyone else cares, I found some nice Dutch folks who resell PIDs
> under their VID for cheap:
> http://www.mcselec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=92&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1
>
> I will probably go this route for now.

It is not allowed by USBIF to resell PIDs and the mcselec
vendor ID has been revoked by USBIF. So you may not
want to go that route either.

Ref: in the above URL, it is mentioned by mcselec
that "That changed in June 2009 when USB-ORG wrote an
email that it was not permitted to sell VID or PID.
MCS pointed out that in The Netherlands you can not enforce
or change rules AFTER a product/service is sold.
So we continued as usual."

If you do not want to pay US$5000 for the VID, then
you can try to use some chip vendor's PID sub-licensing
scheme, eg, from FTDI, TI, Microchip, etc. They will
offer you a free PID if you use their product subject
to some terms and conditions.

--
Xiaofan