Alan Stern wrote:
> The first half is audio-out only.  About 2 seconds after the start, the
> audio-in stream starts up.  After 2 URBs (2 ms) of data, everything
> is shut down for no apparent reason -- there were no I/O errors.
> [...]
> I can't tell whether all these starts and stops are caused by JACK or
> by the ALSA layer, let alone figure out the reason for them.

Two URBs is the Jack buffer size, isn't it?  Does Jack complain?

James, pleasy try running aplay and arecord at the same time; something
like this:

aplay   -D hw:x -t raw -c 4 -f S32_LE -r 44100 --period-size=128
--buffer-size=256 /dev/zero &
arecord -D hw:x        -c 2 -f S32_LE -r 44100 --period-size=128
--buffer-size=256 test.wav

Regards,
Clemens