> If the problem was indeed caused by software, there's a good chance you
> can track it down by doing a bisection search.  That's a time-consuming
> procedure but it doesn't require much intellectual effort.
>
> Have you verified that the controller still works okay under a 3.5
> kernel (to rule out the possibility of some kind of recent hardware
> breakage)?
>
> Alan Stern

Hi Alan,
Yes, this hardware was in active use and working fine with 3.5.  The usb/ir
issue came up as soon as I moved to 3.13-rc8.  (As I said, this was not the
only change strictly speaking, given that I moved from Ubuntu to OpenElec,
so there can well be other relevant distro-related changes)

Unfortunately I prefer deep intellectual efforts which don't require much
time...

Is it possible to simply bypass the nobody cared error, given that the IR
appears to work fine, despite the constant uptick in interrupts?  (And
indeed is it possible that older kernels were simply more forgiving about
this sort of thing?)