A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:17:04PM +0200, Russel Hughes wrote:
> OK sure. I guess there are plenty guides on how to do it out there but
> if you have one you can recommend it would be good.

Do what?  Run a custom kernel?  There's a whole book out there that
describes how to do this called "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell".  It's free
online if you want to just download it and use that.

Otherwise there are plenty of sites that should tell you how to build a
kernel and install it on Ubuntu, google is your friend...

good luck.

greg k-h-