On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 06:19:57PM -0500, Felipe Balbi wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 10:23:38AM +0800, Wang, Yu wrote:
>> Hi Balbi,
>>
>> At first, thank you to help give the response in patience.
>>
>> > Hi,

>> > that's not what I heard when I asked some friends to test that branch
>> > on different platforms. It's certainly not perfect yet and that's why
>> > the code isn't merged in mainline, but claiming that it's not fit for
>> > Merrifield/Moorfield is just a lie.
>> >

>> Can I get your friends' email address if they are in Intel? I would like to
>
>You already have that. Just look at Cc list.
>
>> contact them to make the branch work on my Merrifield/Moorefield board too.
>> Currently I can't see any link change event with the branch.
>
>how did you test it ? According to [1] Merrifield won't work for more
>than 20s or so with v3.14 and, since there is no resolution on the
>thread, I assume today's mainline won't work either.
>
>Anyway, if you really did test, test again with enabling verbose debug
>on dwc3 and show me the logs, I'm interested in what the IP is doing.

Yes. As you said, the v3.14 haven't get stable so far on Merrifield
platform. So I tried to back port your dwc3-role-switch branch solution
to our v3.10 base and verified.

I will waiting v3.14 get ready and do the test again to double confirm.
I will let you know the result. Sorry cause the misunderstanding for
you.

>> > from a SW perspective there is *no* difference. The only reason for
>> > using PortCapDir is to cope with platforms which want to switch roles
>> > but have screwed up ID pin reporting. And since most of the platforms
>> > actually have tha problem, it's just easier to implement it that way.
>> >

>> Ok. Just confirm with you that you think it's not a matter to use
>> GCTL.PortCapDir or OCTL.PeriMode to switch role, right?
>
>As of today, I don't see a difference. Things *can* change though. We
>can find out more details about the HW which forces us to use one of the
>other.

I will help to try both DRD/OTG solution with your design on Merrifield
when v3.14 get stable on it.

>> > that's not in mainline though, why should I care ? Show me code adding
>> > support for D0i3cold for dwc3 then we can talk. Until then, I'll
>> > continue assuming there's no such PM state and continue with happy hacking
>> > sessions.

>> > Current driver also doesn't support any runtime PM, so why should I
>> > care about your out-of-tree changes ? If you have any code which is
>> > not in mainline and I change something in mainline you have to deal to
>> > with it,
>> > not me.
>>
>> Get it. So we can treat this solution is working w/o PM implementation
>> so far. And maybe we need to re-design DRD/OTG when we consider to
>> support PM, right?
>
>We probably don't need to redesign anything when adding PM. What we need
>is that when we start to add PM support to this driver, in case there is
>any regression, we find out why there is a regression. Then we solve it
>properly, after looking at logs and fully understanding what's breaking
>the driver.
>
>In any case, that's something that won't happen in mainline for at least
>a couple more major releases since there are still quite a few changes
>pending.

Get your point. Thanks

>> > I just cannot spend time imagining all twisted scenarios Vendors
>> > (including my employer, for that matter) want to support with whatever
>> > hacked up version of mainline drivers they might have.
>> >
>> > My plan is to *not* add a lot of PM support until I know all other
>> > features are functional. When I'm happy with those features and know
>> > they have been thoroughly tested on *all* users of dwc3 then we can
>> > all get together in a conference (maybe have a DWC3 mini-summit or
>> > whatever) and discuss how we're gonna implement PM *together*.
>> >
>> > Since the driver is used by many different vendors, it would be unfair
>> > for me to treat Intel (or any vendor, really) differently just because
>> > someone dropped me an email commenting about all the out-of-tree changes
>> > they have.
>> >

>> Understand. What are the other features you mean that need thorough testing
>> before adding PM support?
>
>DRD for one. Then there is a redesign of parts of the gadget API that I
>want to do before PM too. Then there is the whole Link Power Management
>(which has *nothing* to do with Linux PM - system or runtime; we can put
>the USB bus in low power mode even though we don't gate any of the USB
>IP's clocks or power rails).

Get it. I think your mean is the U1/U2, right?

>> > yeah, everybody does that. Everybody I've seen so far have moved the
>> > analog comparators for VBUS and ID out of the PHY and into the PMIC.
>> >
>> > We even have a very nice framework to cope with that (see
>> > drivers/extcon/extcon-palmas.c for an example).
>> >

>> Thanks for pointing it out. We will use it too.

>> > yeah, but this is just how *you* decided to implement this for your
>> > employer and, guess what, all of that is out-of-tree and, by all
>> > practical means wrt mainline kernel, it's all non-existent. This means
>> > I'm free to implement all of this any way I feel it's best considering the
>> > diverse
>> > user-base we have on this driver.
>> >
>> > Quite frankly, resetting the IP is only necessary iff all power rails
>> > are cut, in that case, sure, we will reset the IP and start all over,
>> > but we don't want to cut all power while we're attached to host, which
>> > means we don't need to reset the IP, a simple context restore is enough in
>> > most cases.
>> >
>> > Also, when we implement hibernation (dwc3's hibernation, that is) we
>> > won't need to reset the IP even if we go all the way down to D0i3cold
>> > because the IP keeps all context in a scratch buffer we allocate during
>> > probe.
>>
>> Yes. I know what is your mean. Just I don't know how to implement
>> hibernation mode for DRD mode. The synopsys DWC3 spec haven't mentioned
>> it.
>
>one thing has nothing to do with the other. By the time hibernation
>kicks in, the IP is already set on one role and won't change unless you
>revert cable or HNP - for those which support it - kicks in.
>
>In both cases, dwc3 *must* first wake up before even figuring out what
>it is the user wants it to do.

The situation is too complex. Let's discuss OTG/DRD hibernation later
after get OTG/DRD mode solution get confirmed.

>> And also for OTG hibernation mode. If we power gate the USB PHY during
>> OTG hibernation mode, and using PMIC to do ID/VBUS detection. I don't
>> know if there have any issues.
>
>Until we get there, we won't know.

>> > that's not my problem though, is it ? Since *your* PM design isn't
>> > available in mainline anyway. Not to mention that *my* DRD mode wasn't
>> > merged either, even though I have good reports from some friends
>> > stating it's working in 90% of the cases.
>> >

>> Maybe I should add more explanation on the purpose of this email. I
>> was not complaining you on your codes. Just wanted to discuss with you
>> on our solution in order to improve our codes acceptable in community.
>
>sure, that's always good; but you can't expect me to consider - or even
>know about - out-of-tree patches.

Yes. You are correct. Sorry for cause the misunderstanding.

>> > Well, since I've already been working on it (well, George Cherian -
>> > now in Cc - was the originator) I rather continue on it together with
>> > George. Thank you
>>
>> Do you have a first version that I can take a look? Since I'm working
>> on it too, I would like to avoid conflict at the beginning. Thanks.
>
>see my dwc3-role-switch branch in k.org. And since you're asking, it
>makes me wonder again how did you test my patches ? I mean, you _did_
>claim they don't work and yet you don't know where to get them from ?

No No. My mean is if there have other local designs which haven't merged
into your dwc3-role-switch branch.