On 10/09/2014 10:26 AM, Alan Stern wrote:

>>> Yes.

>>> Hm, I dug into the tty core, it should be ok, but it just seems really
>>> odd, and bad-form to be doing something with port->port after calling a
>>> "destroy" function with it, don't you agree?
>>
>> I do. The call to wait_event() can be removed as we no longer care whether
>> gs_closed(port) is returning true - if it even can, having destroyed the
>> tty_port.
>
> Maybe you don't care whether gs_closed(port) returns true, but you
> should care about whether gs_closed() crashes -- which it might well do
> if it tries to access deallocated memory.
>
> Did you test your patch by unloading the module while there were
> pending opens?

gs_closed() won't crash because that's not the memory being deallocated.
tty_port_destroy() is somewhat misnamed; should be more like tty_port_cleanup(),
as it doesn't actually deallocate the port (because tty_port could be an
embedded structure in a larger 'port' which is the most common usage).

I've been struggling to understand how this patch could even cause the
wait_event() to complete and the only thing I can hypothesize is that
the deallocation in tty_port_destroy() somehow causes the process with
the open tty to crash but I don't see how.

Regards,
Peter Hurley

PS - My earlier email was greylisted so that's why I appeared to reply
well after your answer :)

Oct 2014 11:06:05 EDT