On 7 July 2014 17:08, Oleksij Rempel <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>/  Am 07.07.2014 15:40, schrieb Anders Darander:/
>/> On 4 July 2014 18:54, Oleksij Rempel <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:/
>/>> Am 04.07.2014 18:30, schrieb Alan Stern:/
>/>>> On Fri, 4 Jul 2014, Anders Darander wrote:/
>/>>>> ~# usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using at91_ohci/
>/>>>> usb 1-1: ath9k_htc: Firmware htc_9271.fw requested/
>/>>>> usb 1-1: ath9k_htc: Transferred FW: htc_9271.fw, size: 51272/
>/>>>> -----------[ cut here ]-----------/
>/>>>> WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 93 at/
>/>>>>
/mnt/cs-builds/anders/oe-build/build-ccu/tmp-eglibc/work/ccu-oe-linux-gnueabi/linux-yocto-ccu/3.14+gitAUTOINC+7b03bd3dfd-r0/linux/drivers/usb/core/urb.c:450/
>/>>>> usb_submit_urb+0x2ac/0x460()/
>/>>>> usb 1-1: BOGUS urb xfer, pipe 1 != type 3/
>/>/
>/>>>/
>/>>> I can't tell exactly where the fault is, but this message means that an/
>/>>> URB was submitted for a bulk endpoint with a pipe of type/
>/>>> PIPE_INTERRUPT./
>/>>/
>/>> Then kernel driver and firmware should be updated. There was some/
>/>> Bulk/Interrupt issues which was fixed last year./
>/>/
>/> Any pointers to the bulk/interrupt issues? Was it a general issue, or/
>/> related either to/
>/> at91-ohci or ar9271?/
>
>/  It is primary ar9271 issue. The interrupt EP has different response time/
>/  on different host controllers. Initially as workaround ath9k was forcing/
>/  Bulk traffic on Interrupt EP. But this workaround is working with some/
>/  host controllers and completely fails on others. So i removed it. The/
>/  patches are included in master kernel branch and git firmware source./

Thanks for the comments!
I'll take a look at it, though it might have to be scheduled after the
upcoming vacations...

I'll sure try to look into those workarounds (and your removal of
those). I guess that
it's the firmware in open-ath9-htc-firmware you're talking about.

>/>/
>/> As far as I've been able to find out, I've got the latest firmware/
>/> (check again with linux-firmware)./
>/> I've also tried with the master from open-ath9k-htc-firmware./
>/>/
>/>> I hope this HW will not be used as AP./
>/>/
>/> Is this based on the use of at91- SoC, or based on the ar9271?/
>
>/  ar9271 can work as AP with limit on 8 stations but according to user/
>/  reports it fails even with one station on at91/
>
>/> The primary use case is to run as a client, though there will likely/
>/> be some instances where it'll/
>/> function as a AP. (Though primarily for M2M communications), thus/
>/> pretty low traffic./
>
>/  For AP usually should be created monitor mode interface for receiving/
>/  and transmitting management frames. Depending on location and STAs or/
>/  APs working on same channel, you will get a lot of traffic on this usb/
>/  interface./
>/  Some users reported huge traffic drops on at91 based APs. Since i can't/
>/  debug it, i can't promise that it will be fixed any time soon./

Again, thanks for the information.
I think I've got a much better understanding of the issues (both those that I've
seen, and those that you have mentioned / explained). I'll see when/what I can
look into this and what I can find out.

Cheers,
Anders

Anders, did you ever have a chance to look at this? I am seeing this same warning that is filling up the kernel logs in v3.18-rc6.

The device I am using is:

|ID 0846:9030 NetGear, Inc. WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271]||

I found that if I revert kernel commit 2b72111 that the warning stops, but the device
does not work very well.||If you are interested to know more about the symptoms we
are seeing, there is a bug report here:
<https://github.com/ev3dev/ev3dev/issues/152>. But, I figured at least knowing
the kernel commit that introduced the problem would be helpful.|