Hi Greg,

Thanks for your quick reply.

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 07:07:45PM -0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > Note that I have this problem with all USB sticks, not just this one
> > stick.
>
> What filesystem, vfat?  What is the mount options you use for it?  Try

oops, forgot that:
/dev/sdc1 on /mnt/mnt type vfat
(rw,relatime,sync,uid=500,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

> turning off the 'flush' option if possible to try to match the same
> Windows options.

legolas:~# mount -o remount,nosync /dev/sdc1 /mnt/mnt

obviously makes things much faster, but by then the copy is acked
immediately (it's too fast to even measure the speed) but the usb key
keeps writing in the background for a while as expected.

flush option does not seem enabled.

Still, you're likely on the right track, something seems to wait for
each write to proceed before sending the next one.
Is there another option I can try?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....