On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 07:38:51AM -0800, Russell Senior wrote:
> > Also, when the above change makes usb-linus works, does changing the
> > word size appear to work after probe?
>
> I'm not sure what changing the word size is supposed to do.  The
> usb-linus + previous patch in loopback seems to work with minicom
> regardless of wordsize.  More so even than I would guess at 5N1: a ->
> a, A -> A.  Trying to talk with a pl2303, 8N1 on both sides works.
> 7E1 works sending from ch341 to pl2303, but not pl2303 to ch341 (text
> is garbled on reception). 6N1 is garbled in both directions, but
> differently.

Ok, so maybe your device simply does not support changing the line
settings more than once. That is, the initial settings chosen are used
until re-connected. This would seem to be in accordance with a comment
found in one of the out-of-tree drivers floating around (and which at
least I hoped would no longer be an issue with the new way of changing
the settings).

If you connect the ch340 you have in loopback mode, with the removed
initial LCR write that fixed the 5-bit behaviour, can you get that
behaviour back by setting 5-bit word size after opening the port? (This
was what I was going for with my original question above.).

Thanks,
Johan