On 20.06.2017 12:47, rocko r wrote:
Whenever I boot my laptop and log into the desktop with a USB-C to
USB-3 hub attached and a Samsung 840 EVO SSD attached to the USB-C
hub, the laptop locks up completely for kernel versions 4.12-rc1
through 4.12-rc6. Kernels 4.10 and 4.11 do not crash, so this is a
regression.

The lock-up occurs shortly after logging into the desktop. Note that
when I am presented with the lightdm login screen, my mouse attached
via the USB-C to USB-3 hub works, but it stops working after the
desktop first appears, as if the USB-C hub has gone offline, and then
it starts working again maybe five to ten seconds later (this also
happens in kernel 4.11, but 4.11 successfully mounts the SSD and does
not lock up).

Shortly after this in kernels 4.12-rcX, the SSD fails to mount and at
some point after this, syslog shows soft lockup errors. Eventually the
entire laptop locks up and has to be hard-reset. When I tried 4.12-rc6
today, the laptop locked up almost immediately and did not store a
message in syslog.

This bug happens every time when rebooting and then logging into the
desktop with that particular configuration, ie SSD attached via the
USB-C to USB-3 hub. If I have the USB-C to USB-3 hub attached and the
SSD attached via one of the laptop's USB-3 ports, the laptop does not
lock up. If I plug in the SSD to the USB-C hub after booting into the
desktop, the laptop does not lock up.

Attached is a log of the soft lockup BUG message from 4.12-rc5 and
also another NULL dereference error I noticed today that might be
related.

The type-c port is controller by a separate hotpluggable PCI xHCI controller,

Looks like that controller disappears for a while, and driver tries to cope
with it but hangs while freeing streams.

Does the Samsung 840 EVO SSD support UAS (USB attached SCSI?) i.e. does
it use the uas driver instead of mass-storage?

Could you take full logs from boot with xhci debugging and tracing both enabled?

add xhci_hcd.dyndbg=+p  or  module xhci_hcd +p to kernel cmdline  for xhci
debugging,
and trace_event=xhci-hcd  trace_buf_size=10M   for tracing

Thanks
Mathias