From: Adrian Bocaniciu
> Sent: 30 September 2017 09:18
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 09:06:16 +0000
> David Laight <david.lai...@aculab.com> wrote:
>
> > > The correct names used in the new specification for the 4 speeds that can
> > > be supported by a USB 3
> > > interface are: .
> >
> > I think I'd add the speed itself as well.
>
> I was reffering mostly to the identifiers and comments used in the kernel
> source code.

So was I, don't assume that people reading the code know all about
the interface definitions.

Naming the constants USB_GEN_1x1_4G (or similar) makes things clearer.

> There is a stupid tradition started by someone at Intel, I suppose from
> marketing, who had the mean
> idea of presenting SATA 1.0 as 1.5 Gb/s and PCIe 1.0 as 2.5 Gb/s.
>
> Before that, nobody thought that it would be right to present,
> e.g. Gigabit Ethernet as having a speed of 1.25 Gb/s.

Or 10MHz ethernet as 20MHz :-)

Although the physical bit rate has been used before.
Can't quite remember what for though - might have been ATM.
Actually, isn't it GE - which is only 800MHz ??

        David