The attackers being able to gain access to the official sendmail ftp obviously
hasn't got anything to do with open source. Could happen to anyone. But I
think the point is that it would be easier for them to create a trojan
package, already having the sendmail source to modify. All be it that that
the trojan is also open, for anyone to see should they actually look... and
apparently the PGP verification fails on the trojan version too.

Cheers,
Gareth