The "Kate" editor in KDE3 has an XML plugin with it. There's a newer version
of this plugin available at http://www.danielnaber.de/tmp/

Plus there's a write-up about using the plugin that comes with KDE3 here:
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/May2002/article201.shtml

This newer version of the plugin will be included in KDE 3.1 when that
arrives. Basically it takes an DTD parsed by an app called DTDParse,
mentioned in the article above, and shows like code-completion type pop-ups
as you type, plus it can close tags with a keyboard shortcut etc.

The older version doesn't bring up those pop-ups, you have to bring up a
window to see the tags.

There's a slight bug in the the newer version of the plugin in that the
pop-ups won't appear if you go re-edit something you've already typed, that's
fixed in the KDE 3.1 version I believe.

There's also some plugin that interfaces with xmllint coming in KDE 3.1 too.

--
James.