On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 06:50:02PM +1300, Ryurick M. Hristev wrote:
> I can certainly understand your particular situation. Incidentally I also have
> a laptop at home and 100 Mb to my desktop and still find CD's more convenient,
> but that's me.

Heh... interesting. You have to make an ISO, burn it, and then put it into a
drive which is inherently slower than your network.... etc etc.. I find
'mobile' media excruciatingly annoying. (except for memory sticks in digital
cameras, and USB pen-drives) Ok, so OS cd's maybe. still have to change the
damn things when you need to span disks :P

> a macho man: me Tarzan ... me don't like CD ... me carry desktop to work :-)

Bearing in mind, that It was a laptop, not a desktop. laptops are easy to
carry to work.

> Nevermind that the mentioned average user most likely doesn't even have the
> possibility/permission to use the network at work for this kind of stuff.

Point taken...

> Just look on this list for CD burning requests.

I consider this particular phenomenon as a mind set issue. People to me,
appear to want to have the 'full' OS on CD, so they can safely assume they
have everything they need. They do, and some. As I have demonstrated, the
entirety of the software I have installed, falls under the 500M mark. ok, it
may take a while for 500M to download on a 56k... Look at it the other way.
you can do a base install, and have a perfectly working Debian system in
under 60M. ok, so that's not a short time either, but to me, it beats the
pants off going through the hassle of getting CD's burnt.

Don't get me wrong, I think using CD's is a perfectly valid activity, I just
find the concept boring, and a little wasteful. ok, CD-RW has fixed that a
little.

Mike.
--
Michael Beattie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Spock, the women on your planet are logical. No other planet in the
galaxy can make that claim.                  -- Capt. James T. Kirk