I know I've harped on about this before, but I'll mention it again.
Interestingly enough, I came across this utility while trying to install
MPlayer. It's urpmi, Mandrake's atp-get (altho not as powerful, I know).
Just set up your software sources list either from the command line, or
from the Software Sources Manager on the Mandrake Control Center.

Here's a source to get you started:
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/8/Mandrake/9.0/contribs/RPMS/synthesis.hdlist2.cz

Then as root enter: urpmi mplayer

Downloads and installs all dependancies and everything. Pretty cool I
reckon.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>Hi there,
>
>Gareth Williams wrote:
>> Nah, there's nothing wrong with mplayer, and it works better than xine
>in my
>> experience. If you're having trouble with the precompiled binaries, try
>> downloading and compiling from source, worked fine for me :-)
>> (almost straight off from memory ;-)
>
>I'm not so sure I could successfully install source on my setup, since
>any attempt to do so on other packages ALWAYS ends up failing on some
>missing (or many) dependencies or libs, or other scary messages a newbie
>like me cannot fathom...
>
>Does anyone in the LUG have mplayer on CD, with ALL dependants? That
>would theoretically be a better option for me...
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Chris Wilkinson, Middle Earth, New Zealand.
>
>MICRO$LOTH FREE ZONE!

Hamish McBrearty     MCSE  MCSA
Network Engineer
Rangi Ruru Girls' School