Hi there,

One quick question before I get 3 hours sleep and go back to
work...

I have 256MB of RAM in my linux box, but for some reason the
memory cache always chews all the available RAM after a while
of loading software. I am often left with only 4-5MB of free
physical space. Then loading of un-cached files becomes a bit
tedious as the system is always juggling old stuff out and new
stuff into the cache. Always that process seems to hit the
swap file on the odd occasion, which makes matters worse.

Of course any software stored in the cache loads faster if I
need to access it again, but my hard disk (a 20GB Seagate) is
plenty fast enough anyways, so loading speed is not an issue
even without being cached.

How can I limit the size of physical RAM used to cache file
access? I'm using Mandrake 9.0 (kernel 2.4.19-16mdk)...

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Middle Earth, New Zealand.

MICRO$LOTH FREE ZONE!